and now, without further ado, i dive into the pretty part of the past few days....
more osha root has been simmering here. mmmmm. no one is really sick, but i thought i felt a sore throat coming on, and that's what this is about.

i tried my hand at sara's hash browns for dinner. i did okay. i couldn't swing the whole pan sized cake like sara does, but i made these little latke-like ones instead. the man and i ate a lot of them....middle child wouldn't touch them. but that's her. first and third had a decent amount.

AND, this coffee popsicle i made in september, is incredible. i wish you could come over and eat one with me. a friend brought some iced coffee over for a breakfast we were making, but ended up drinking the fresh hot coffee we had made, and so instead of throwing his out, i sweetened it a bit, added some milk, and turned it into pops. i hadn't tried one till this warm day last week. olive was having her lime pop. 
so that is the baby, miraculously feeling satisfied playing by herself at my feet while i made some soup.
and a delicata squash. why do they have one of the best flavors on the planet? she actually could not get enough, because i insisted on having some too.
more osha root has been simmering here. mmmmm. no one is really sick, but i thought i felt a sore throat coming on, and that's what this is about.

i tried my hand at sara's hash browns for dinner. i did okay. i couldn't swing the whole pan sized cake like sara does, but i made these little latke-like ones instead. the man and i ate a lot of them....middle child wouldn't touch them. but that's her. first and third had a decent amount.
AND, this coffee popsicle i made in september, is incredible. i wish you could come over and eat one with me. a friend brought some iced coffee over for a breakfast we were making, but ended up drinking the fresh hot coffee we had made, and so instead of throwing his out, i sweetened it a bit, added some milk, and turned it into pops. i hadn't tried one till this warm day last week. olive was having her lime pop. and then it snowed. yin yang. hot. then cold. tell me to stop with my yin~yanging.

so that is the baby, miraculously feeling satisfied playing by herself at my feet while i made some soup.
and a delicata squash. why do they have one of the best flavors on the planet? she actually could not get enough, because i insisted on having some too. garlic/onion/beet/sweet potato/navy bean/curry soup. yumm. i cook like a hippie most of the time. with whatever is on hand, and whatever i'm drawn to. i sometimes try to use a recipe, but i just can't stick to it usually.
i also just washed my hair with egg yolk and apple cider vinegar, while holding a little glass of straight tequila in the other hand. i was kind-of scared that i might space out and sip from the wrong cup, but i didn't. i'm pretty over commercial shampoo.
i'm feeling really good about my hair right now. thanks to my farmer friend, melanie, who gave me the recipe.... 1 egg yolk, 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, 1/2 cup warm water. whisk. mix into hair, let sit for 5 minutes (while sipping tequila if it's an evening shower, i say), then rinse with water.
okay....i swear, my hair has not felt this good in a long time. try it. and don't forget my secret ingredient.






That soup does sound good Heather! I have been working towards not using harsh detergents on my scalp. Actually, I'm pretty good. I use very little shampoo and when I do, it's the unscented kind. I think I definitely might need some vodka to put egg in my hair.
ReplyDeleteI like to do the pretty first. I have thought about what you write, the "fakeness" out there. I too want to be like other people. I wonder why I can't hold it together like everyone I see on the internet. (But it's just like people I know for real, in the flesh too) Just so you know, I struggle all the time with my demons and I guess, I don't want to write about it all the time because I think everyone would think I'm depressing. However, I really like that you talk about the dark stuff. It makes me feel like there's real people out there. But Heather, I am really jealous that you have date night every weekend!!
Love, Kyndale
ok, but do you like my wooden snowflake???
ReplyDeletekyndale, i know, i fear that talking about the dark will make my blog one big depressant. i just can't not. that's my only reasoning for doing it.
ReplyDeleteyes on the vodka and egg! go for it. so fun.
and let us inspire you with the date night! we keep turning other friends onto the idea....i'm off to check your snowflake out!
I absolutely love your blog!!!
ReplyDeleteI love the pure honesty that comes out of it...
Not sure how to put this into words...I am drawn to reading your blog...may be because it is far time I get honest about my own struggles with depression knocking at my door...I think "pretending" it is not there will make it better but in fact it makes me feel worst...it makes me feel alone...and pretending...far from being honest right?!...then I wonder...will anyone read my blog...I struggle with feeling of being not good enough..of rejection...rejection has plague my life...ugh...then I struggle with...will anyone read my blog if its too "real"...
but I am not totally am who I really am on my blog...do I make any sense?...I am living in a city...wanting to live it on farm
( used to then made the mistake to move to city..that's another story)
I don't like my house..it is too "city" to "preppy"...
I am a plain jane who loves nettle tea and eating wild leeks and fiddle heads...who wished her life was in the bush...
So may be an honesty blog is in order...
Thanks for inspiring me ....
Thanks for being who you are...I am grateful for that!
Nadine
Hang in there. Be you. Your blog already has a unique voice. Go with it.
ReplyDeletei love this post. i hate how i always think that... why can't my life look like "hers" or "hers"... but i have been working on that too lately... just being me, posting what i want, when i want, not worrying. i love reading your blog for all of your realness and admitions of bad mornings. must try the hair recipe. i am sick of my hair the length it is, dying for it to grow out, but i suppose the wash recipe won't help that, such is life.
ReplyDeleteHeather,
ReplyDeleteI think you are so Real and so honest and so lovely! I love your blunt way of saying things...you crack me up!
I'm glad you tried the hashbrowns. We eat them at least once a day, and my kids can now cook them all by themselves....but they haven't learned to clean up after themselves in the kitchen! Go figure?
love from sara
thanks for your loving words girls. you feel like cheerleaders a little bit. or just sweet friends. but aren't they kind-of the same thing?
ReplyDeletelittlegreen, i've heard that eating seaweed will help your hair grow faster. like a mermaid.
I have been struggling with the same feelings of inadequacy especially after reading SouleMama...Sigh...I have never been so inspired and overwhelmed at the same time and yet everytime I read her words I can't help but feel like I am wasting my days. Seriously, how does she do it? The house is pretty, her unschooled children are happy wearing all handmade clothes, a puppy, a kitty, four kids, an injured husband, 2 books, and constant crafting, eating home cooked meals every meal, cloth diapers, cloth pads, daily blogging, and she still looks pulled together in every photo.
ReplyDeleteI feel inadequate, yet I can't stop reading because it encourages me and inspires me to be more and to push myself.
We can only be the best versions of ourselves and some things help while others hinder.
I have no idea what point I am trying to make...but yeah, I get it. Frame the pretty parts and let the other parts melt...
I might need to write a post now too.
;)e.
yo apples! you so get it. and i love soulemama, SO much. she got me hooked first. i feel like i have a little crush on her. and yeah, she inspires me, a lot. there is something more i crave though, and so i am beginning to give it to myself. this other piece, that i, heather, need, to feel grounded, connected, and hopeful. sometimes when the blog's message i am reading feels too unattainable, or just like it may take me years to get there, i feel defeated. or jealous. so i am finally touching on this topic, and exploring how i feel about it, and how i choose to share myself, and my truth. it's like i have a deep need to be naked. and comfortable naked. too bad i live in colorado!
ReplyDelete