i was tagged by tania, my favorite australian blogger, a while back, for the creative blogger award to reveal seven things about me. sweet. i have never been tagged for this. you could tag me for this every month and i'd do it! i love revealing. i don't even need an excuse do i? i tend to be pretty revealing anyways. well, today, here are seven things that come to mind......
- one. red is my favorite color. i have cheated on her many times, and declared other colors to be favorites over the years, but i always come back to her. i am so glad she has no hard feelings, and always takes me back. mmmmm, deep deep bright red.

- two. i like to cover things up with fabric....things, people, furniture, animals, whatever! i made a vacuum cover once...and then recently a cover for my sewing machine. both with some bright red vintage fabrics i thrifted. lucky!


- three. i dreamt about my high school english teacher last night. she had the most knowledge of greek and roman myths of anyone i've ever met. she loved them. i loved her. she is a very plump african american and she would just sit back and kind of recline in her chair, and tell the stories and then question the class about them. i loved learning from her because she loved teaching. i feel like i dreamt of her last night because i have been craving getting lost in an epic story lately. and i recently wikipedia'd achilles to remind myself of his story, thinking about max's heel of course.
- four. in college, i had a professor who taught anthropology that i loved also. so so much. he had such a passion for teaching his subject. i made david come to a class with me once to witness his gift of teaching. when it was time to sign up for the next semester's classes, i went to his office hours and asked him to tell me of any other teacher on campus who had a passion like he did. i said i didn't care what the subject, i just needed to make sure i had at least one teacher with a fire like that every semester. he told me of a professor from ghana who taught an african music class. i signed up. that class stretched me in ways i never would have asked to be stretched, and i am so grateful for the learning i did. i challenged myself for my final project to learn a tribal dance and perform it, and then teach it to my class. talk about one of the most painful things i've ever done! i am incredibly shy. i don't know what i was thinking. but, i made a friendship with the professor that lasts to this day! he came to zhi's birthday party last year. actually, zhi took her first steps in an african singing class for mamas and babies i took with him many years after that first class at CU. her first steps actually came when she was dancing while we sang, and she just happened to be feeling the music so much she started walking without even meaning to!
- five. we are addicted to movie watching in this family. i watched the fellowship of the ring the other day when i had a babysitter. mmmmmm, it was so divine to just lay there and take in the beauty of that movie, that story. i had a bunny once, that i named bilbo.

- six. the pink trees in spring are one of my very favorite sights on earth.

- seven. i want to find some fire in me that feels like what i admire and am so drawn to in those teachers i wrote about above. i am on a search these days for my inner fire. what makes me shine? where do i shine the brightest?? i love thinking about this lately.....

- okay, now i tag, andrea, kyndale, antoinette, catherine, lisa, elizabeth, camilla~ only if it's fun!! reveal reveal reveal!!!
Yay! So glad you're playing! Particularly impressed with that moving beyond your comfort zone stuff - something that seems to get harder and harder these days (or am I just staying home knittering too much?!?).
ReplyDeletePS. Shy too, hence cropping of photography!
Wow, I have never been tagged. So exciting. I'll do that post as soon as I'm feeling passionate.
ReplyDeleteI hope we get to meet for real some day. When I read your posts I feel connected to your soul. I love your description of your teachers' passions. What a great idea to ask the anthropology teacher to suggest someone passionate. I am always hoping to find that deep passion too or some great hidden talent. In last week's New Yorker was a profile of jazz bassist Esperanza Spalding. So amazing. So passionate. I'm going to finish this post and come back again with some passionate links to inspire you.
Link to Esperanza Spalding
ReplyDeletehttp://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2010/03/15/100315fa_fact_colapinto
Link to a blog post I did on passions:
http://escleali.blogspot.com/2010/01/do-you-have-grand-passion.html
Enjoy
I love all that revealing about yourself! Love the teacher stories... Thanks for tagging me! I'll sure play soon!
ReplyDeleteI'm really impressed that you asked your professor what class you should take and it led you to african music. I took an afro-haitian dance class once in san francisco. It's so freeing. I think you would love to take a dance class like that. I love that you're so open to talk. I have the opposite thing going on. So, I will take you up on the challenge to talk about myself! Scary! love to you, I hope you're all feeling well. Kyndale
ReplyDelete